Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Bugs and Slugs

...........and puppy dog tails, that's what little boys are made of.   At least, that's the way that I think it goes. We saw lots of bugs yesterday. And lots of slugs.  And lots of people walking their dogs through the trails, so we saw lots of puppy dog tails too.  Originally, the plan was to have two little boys and two little girls go on an adventure, so even though I knew that the girls would love the fairy garden, I was unsure how the boys would like it.  I knew they would be good sports about it, and I also knew that there was more to the outing than the fairy garden. As it turned out, everyone loved the fairy garden and everyone loved looking at the slugs and bugs. 

When we arrived at Redwood Park, there were two other cars in the parking lot. It was pretty desolate.  I had never been here before, so it was an adventure for me as well.  I was a little unsure how I felt about taking myself and three children into the bush, so I put my phone in my pocket, said a little prayer and went on my way. It was fine. There weren't a lot of people out there but enough joggers and people walking their dogs that it felt very safe. 

We found many many slugs. And we always had to stop and look!

These three made it so fun to walk and run along!

We found lots of centipedes crawling across the paths.

Lucas had a centipede on the end of the stick. Boys and their bugs.  Both of these guys had no problem picking them up or touching any of them. As you can see, Mila was happy to look, but there was no way that she was touching. I was with Mila.  Ewwwwwww.

The boys found sticks and wood bugs. I think they would have stayed here for longer if I didn't convince them that it was lunchtime. Even though I say that we were walking in the woods for almost two hours, a lot of our 'walk' was standing and observing. So, let's just say we walked for about half of our time.

Lucas just kept pulling out the dead wood and finding more bugs!

And I don't know how clearly you can see the collection of wood bugs here, as they blend in with the wood, but there were a lot.  And every time he pulled more wood away, there were more bugs. The children loved them!

No comments: