Monday, July 18, 2016

Day 1, Done!

Well, that was fun!  For the most part. We had a very angry boy in our group, but the other 17 children were super. So, in a sense, I had to be grateful as I know that other leaders had it a lot tougher than me. We have a behaviour therapist on staff and he was extremely helpful in giving me advice and tools on how to handle this young man. A lot was cultural, so after he shed some insight on how to what to do and what to say, he was easier to deal with. 

Poor Hubby and Shannon had issues in their groups too, but again, it was their first times volunteering.  They didn't even know how the program worked, and once you threw the special needs in there, they were a little bit overwhelmed. The first day is always the hardest day, and we have all survived. I should be exhausted as I was wide awake at 4 am (no, I have no idea why) and it's been a busy day.  But for some odd reason, I am still not really tired. We didn't do our usual Monday outing as I knew we needed to be a little more low-key because Summer Kids Club started today. And I knew it would be crazy. Maybe not as crazy as it actually was, but I knew what to expect. 

And this is the lovely picture that my church put on Facebook. Nice, hey? Not!  I was laughing so hard as it was the leader challenge, and they caught me at my very worst. We are smashing eggs into our heads and some were hard-boiled and most were raw. I was the second to last person to get put out, which meant I smashed my head with two hard-boiled eggs before I actually got a raw one. Oh, so much fun!!!  

Our memory verse today is from Proverbs 3:5-6. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.  Seek His Will in all you do and he will show you which path to take."

No comments: