Thursday, October 6, 2016

Big feelings

Toddlers have big feelings. That's what Miracle #2 says and I like that phrase. My little three year old friend calls it flipping out. I call it a hissy fit or a temper tantrum.  Any way you look at it, it isn't very fun. And some two year olds do it more than others. They all seem to start their full-fledged toddlerhood around 14-15 months and it usually lasts well into turning two. There are a few children who don't even start it until they are three, but no matter which way you look at it, it's a developmental process, and every little child does it. We all get mad. We all feel frustrated. And we all feel sad. It's just that we, as adults have learned how to deal and cope with these emotions without causing too much of a scene. 

Sweet Pea had a rough day. She came in feeling pretty good, but she just needed an abundance of love. She was fine if I was able to give her 100% of my attention, but as soon as someone else needed me, she lost it. Literally and figuratively. I felt really bad for her, but I still had other children to care for and if I couldn't help her immediately when she needed me, she would scream. Some incidences only lasted a few minutes, whereas this particular one went on for over an hour. No matter what I did or what I said, nothing was helping. When her Daddy picked her up just a half an hour after this ended, she was happy as could be, eating pretzels. Do you want me to tell you how I calmed her down?  A little tiny sweet tart candy. I remembered that she had spied them earlier and and I had told her that she could have one after lunch. Well, it was 3:30, and that was way after lunch. I offered her a candy and all was well and right in her world again. I pulled out the Grandma card and it worked. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. And hopefully she will have a good night's sleep and she will be back to her old self in the morning. I have earned my Deep Stretch and Relax yoga class tonight and am really looking forward to it!

No comments: